Freshwater Pearls: How Much Are They Worth?

double strand pearls pearl necklace earring set pearl necklace trendy pearl rope necklace

 

The pricing of a pearl is a make-or-break factor when it comes to deciding which pearl to buy. Freshwater pearls come in many colors, sizes, and shapes. They are cost-effective, and they closely resemble the beautiful Akoya pearls, which are more expensive.

If you are looking to buy freshwater pearls, here is everything you need to know about their worth.

What Is The Worth Of Freshwater Pearls?

Freshwater pearls are incredibly versatile, and their price can range anywhere from $50 to $2,000. Their worth depends on many factors such as their grade, size, luster, shape, color, and nacre and surface quality. To understand their worth, you need to take a deep dive into their grading, which accounts for all these factors.

Here are the different grades of freshwater pearls that affect their pricing:

  1. AAAA

These are the highest-quality freshwater pearls, and they represent the top 2% of the pearl harvest. Besides that, 95% of this pearl surface is covered with a flawless freshwater pearl. Only 5% of the pearl will have slight imperfections invisible to the naked eye.

The luster of the AAAA freshwater pearl is incredibly high, and it is of "A Quality." These pearls are the most expensive and can go up to thousands of dollars. If you have a high budget, you need to invest in this freshwater pearl.

  1. AAA

These are slightly lower in quality than the AAAA, and they represent the top 5 to 10% of the pearl harvest. You will find these pearls in finer jewelry stores. Besides that, 80 to 85% of this pearl surface is covered with a flawless freshwater pearl.

Only 15 to 20% of the pearl will have slight imperfections invisible to the naked eye with one or two deep imperfections. The luster of these pearls is high, and they come under "A/B Quality."

  1. AA

These are medium-grade freshwater pearls, and they represent the top 60% of the pearl harvest. Keep in mind that these are found in department stores and many jewelry stores. Besides that, 40% of this pearl surface is covered with a flawless freshwater pearl.

Only 50% will have slight imperfections, while the remaining 10% will have deep imperfections. The luster of these pearls is medium, and they come under "C Quality."

  1. A

Finally, we have the lowest-grade freshwater pearl that represents the bottom 40% of the pearl harvest. 60% of this pearl surface is covered with a slightly flawed pearl, while the remaining 40% having deep imperfections. The luster of this pearl is poor, and it comes under "D Quality."

Final Words

The price of the freshwater pearl depends on the grade you buy. High-quality grades will always be more expensive than lower-quality pearls. You should never invest in grade A or AA if you want something that lasts a long time.

It is best to stick to AAA or AAAA-grade freshwater pearls. They might cost more, but they will look amazing and give you a boost of confidence in no time.


Older Post